Saturday, November 19, 2005

In which Sarah Meditates upon the Role of the Kangaroo in Australian Society

I ate kangaroo for the first time the other evening. It was served with roast pumpkin in a roast garlic and red wine reduction, and very nice it was too. Freya told me that there used to be a restaurant in Adelaide that served kangaroo with a chocolate sauce, and the richness of the two flavours worked exceptionally well together. Kangaroo initially tastes rather gamey, is best served rare and is a very lean meat. I personally found it hard not to think about the worm and lice infested properties of your common wild kangaroo, but Andy assures me that the kangaroo served in restaurants is all farmed. There must be very high fences on kangaroo farms. It seems interesting to me that farmed kangaroo can retain their gamey richness when venison suffers so much in flavour when raised in the same way. Intriguing. I hope the kangaroos are farmed free range, and not fed other kangaroos, antibiotics or hormones. But I figure they must be. It was a very nice restaurant?!? Lately, I have also composed a song about kangaroos and my changed attitude towards them. I can't remember much of the first, second or third verses but the basic concept behind them was a sort of soliloquy upon the fact that I always thought that kangaroos were rather nifty and now I am scared to see them on the roads and kind of scared of the thought they might jump on our tent when we're camping. The chorus of the song, however, is etched upon my brain: They fuck up your car and they fuck up you! Kanga kanga, kangaroo. We booked a cross country train ticket (Perth to Adelaide) and we're travelling "Red Kangaroo Class" - economy to you and me. This gives us access to two reclining chairs, a television and a lounge in which "neat casual dress is required". We can also use a shower. Cross country train trips, such magic, such romance! Sarah and Andy on the Indian Pacific... and the adventures that followed them. 23 days till we leave Adelaide! Then two month of not working! Glorious unemployment is nigh!

1 comment :

  1. I want to be in oz. Waaaaah.

    I saw a whole field of kangas once, wild ones, grandmas, grandpas, mums, dads, children, they stopped to look at us passing in the car. Lemme tell you, I was so tickled.

    Kangaroo fur is sooooft, I felt it on a purse or something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...