Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Wednesday List: New Year's resolutions

Man blowing a hooter and woman laughing on NYE, sometime in the 40s or 50s I think.
New Year's Eve At Gary Indiana Pubs. Photographer: Francis Miller. Google Life photo archive.

The matter at hand: with 2015 approaching, it seems a good time to put some thought into resolutions. I like making resolutions. In fact, I think the best thing about resolutions is making them. My 2015 resolutions are:

  • Stay committed to my budget: bring my lunches to work, even if it means preparing lunches en masse; craft from my stash; op shop and check Trade Me before buying brand new. And - plan for any splurgy away-periods.
  • Spend less time on social media: especially when I’m at work. Something about Twitter while I’m working makes me feel filled with ennui and a kind of mild horror, and I get so angry. It’s not good
  • Make time for writing: it’s amazing how time doesn’t just magically fall into my lap and make itself available to me.
  • Keep using all the techniques I learnt in 2014 to manage my worry and anxiety: especially “worry once, worry well” - that is, make a plan and refer back to it when worries intrude. That approach has served me pretty well so far and I’m quite proud of the things I’ve achieved while using it.
  • Be kind to myself.

Over the next 12 months I’d also like to:

  • Make a decision about my spinning wheel (which is looking at me reproachfully as I write this): to spin or not to spin? If I’m going to spin, I should probably work at getting better (classes?) and get myself something to card with; if not I should just sell the wheel and get it over and done with. Correspondence on this matter is invited.
  • Finish Middlemarch.
  • Have a good declutter. I haven’t moved house for over three years now and you can tell from the amount of crap I have acquired. I feel the urge to purge.

Do you have any suggestions or help for the spinning wheel situation? How do you feel about resolutions?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...