Friday, August 06, 2010

Another week of making for Ms. Ginger Jane

I made some more things this week. I LOVE MAKING THINGS THE MOST. Sometimes, I feel as though I could spend all day everyday squirreled away at home making beautiful things and feeling terribly smug about how good I am at it. Although, then I think seriously about the quality of some of my sewing and that batch of biscuits that I burnt and I feel less smug generally. Whoops.

Triple Play Peanut Butter Cookies: WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN GOOD.


I forgot about a batch of these when I made them and they were burnt to a crisp. I'm glad I didn't burn the house down though, because that would have just been embarrassing. On the other hand, letting my flatmates see the charred remains of shame was just fine. They were like little black lumps of remorse.

It was only twelve though. The rest were freaking awesome. They come out crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, which is pretty much the optimum texture for home baked biscuits in my opinion. I strongly recommend that you try the recipe.

Ultra Miniskirt TIMES FIVE!


Five skirts! My wardrobe is 5x revitalised. And yes - there are just three here. I couldn't be arsed pulling out the others for my craft evening photo shoot.

The skirts are made from a free pattern by Tina Sparkles and it was very easy to throw the skirts together, even with my lack of sewing skills. I used a bunch of fabric I've had around for ages (mostly thrifted and repurposed), and some pretty awesomely cool 80s fabric that I picked up for the purpose at the Opshop for $4. They're pretty much little bag skirts made in a square with elastic waists. Tina's instructions for constructing a pattern to your own measurements were really clear, and even my maths-challenged and impatient self was able to follow the instructions. Apparently she's releasing a book called Little Green Dresses. I think I want it.



Enormous satchel bag
This is from a book called One Piece of Fabric by Lena Santana. The book is filled with these adorable patterns made in beautiful floral prints and with bias edgings on pretty much everything, and when I bought it I fell in love with nearly everything in the book because it was all so insanely twee and cute and beautiful. I may have squeed while standing in Minerva. However, while I'm mostly pleased with my efforts, I feel that I really deserve a "must try harder". I used bias binding for the first time ever while making this bag and it's a little - haphazard, to say the least. I really am a horribly impatient seamstress.

The fabric is all thrifted, and is a sort of green-brown (can't see it very well above - my photography skills and camera combined = grrrRRAH). The best thing about the bag is completely invisible in this photo, and that's the really cute floral lining inside. Really cute! You'll have to trust me on this one.

More of the Boy's scarf
Behold: the worlds largest, and possibly lumpiest scarf.


This is just over half of the scarf (it's knitted in four panels). I tried to use a bunch of different yarns in my stash with a mixed result, to say the least. There is three different kinds of handspun in the scarf and I think it's my early spinning efforts that are really bringing the whole thing down. I've crocheted the bits together and around the edges in an effort to get it to lay flat... not working so awesomely well at the moment. I'm hoping like hell that it will block out well. The patterns suggests pressing, but I'm thinking I'm going to go for a full on wet block because at this point I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.

This weekend I'm planning to work some more on the scarf, maybe cast on for the second sock (booooring), make a marguerita pie and gussy up my pink tunic with some bias and a scalloped hem.


4 comments :

  1. Spooky.. I made peanut butter cookies yesterday too. Mine were such a godawful flop, I chucked 'em in the bin (and then covered them up with paper towells, so I couldn't see how powdery and burnt they were).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Sad. Sad cookies are the saddest.

    You should totally try this recipe though. Just don't wander off and start sewing in another room and forget all about them... that was my mistake. DUH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a crafty lady myself, I enjoyed this. For some time, I haven't done any craft, but I'm planning to, again. Oh joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GG:Do it.

    What kind of things do you do? I seem to recall reading some kind of weaving...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...