Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Wednesday list: ten MORE things in 2010, part the second

Update! It's the first of the month, which means that I am reassessing my list of things I want to achieve before the end of the year.

I think the second list has been more successful than the first, the decision to list only finite things is working for me. Also, it helps that I am on a super self-control binge at the moment. (Can one binge on self-control? I'm giving it a whirl).

So, updates!

1. Spend two hours a week putting the photos back into the SCP blog archive, and otherwise generally tidy up the archive so it looks more consistent. It's super hard to be enthusiastic about finding and uploading the missing images, because it's quite tedious and rather a chore, but I'm slowly getting there. I've also decided to make my blog headings more consistent; that is, no more dashes, only colons.

2. Make my bed everyday. Because I spend so much time in S's bed this doesn't seem to be that much of a problem and has been a lot easier to keep on top of than I first thought. I can only think of one time where I've really lapsed in this over the last month or so, and I guess the answer is just to get back on to it again as soon as I can.

Having a well made bed makes walking into my bedroom so much nicer and less cluttery. J'adore.

3. Have at least one "Buy Nothing Day" a week. I've been awesome at this, I'm super proud - in fact, this weekend I was spend free entirely. How cool is that!

4. Pay back $4000 of my credit card. I'm just short of paying back $1000 at the moment, because of STUPID CRAPPY BANK FEES THAT ATE MY MONEY. Credit cards suck so much and I hate them.

Anyway, for your delectation, here is le Debte Unicorne. Two different colours! This can only mean one thing: I am uber successful.


5. Take part in the Six Items or Less Challenge. I've been looking for updates on this and it looks as though the start date has been pushed back to late September. This is all good, at least the weather will be a bit warmer and it'll open up my wardrobe opportunities a bit. I have already decided on my six items, and I'm thinking of trialling the Challenge during my trip to Christchurch. I love the idea of only having hand luggage on the plane.

6. Spend a month identifying and wearing clothes I never wear, and decide whether they're keepers or biffers. I've been doing this vaguely over the last month, and I've decided to make it an ongoing project (so: to be finished at the end of the year). So far I've worn my leather jacket (not sure), my grey knitted chain scarf (love), my tutu (I think this is actually really unflattering on me and I'm going to get rid of it), my velvet puff sleeved jacket (unsure) and a polka dot skirt I made forever ago. I have big plans to declutter my wardrobe this weekend, and I will get rid of anything I'm really unsure about.

So many unflattering photos. Also, who knew I wore so much red and grey?
(L-R) Tutu (under skirt), grey knitted chain scarf, polka dot skirt.
7. Either use the hula hoop or get rid of it. I feel exceptionally pleased with myself because I've finally listed the hula hoop on Trade Me. You can see it here. (ETA: this is now sold. YAY.)

8. Clean and maintain my crafty machines. I've cleaned my sewing machine and the difference is amazing. It's so so much easier to sew with and it's working really well. Also, oiling and wiping down my spinning wheel has made a big difference to the way that it's working. I'm crafting to a deadline at the moment (Shannon's birthday) so I haven't had a chance to use if for a while.

9. Get rid of the knitting machine and table in the garage. I've committed to give this to a girl I used to skate with when she arrives back in Wellington in November. I'd rather that it goes to someone who really wants it so I'm happy to leave it in the garage until she gets back. It's a weight off my mind knowing that it has a future.

10. Eat my food more slowly. This is so hard and I must concentrate on this more. Sometimes I get so hungry, find myself thinking CHEESE MUST EAT ALL THE CHEESE NOW MMM CHEESY CHEESY, and realise I've eaten most of my toasted sandwich without breathing.

1a. Make a budget and stick to it. I'm stoked with myself! Still going strong with the way of the budget, although some non-necessary shopping urges are sneaking back in again. I'm re-establishing the List of Want and I'm going be more committed to it. I'm also going to start writing down what I'm spending my money on. I think this two pronged attack will work really well.

2a. Unclutter my life and maintain a clutterless environment. I had yet another declutter of my books this weekend, and I also had a good go at CDs and my old organisers. Things are looking better! My next plan is to clear through my papers, scan what needs to be saved and chuck what doesn't.

I have a new decluttering system too - I read it on one of my new favourite blogs, Miss Minimalist. The idea is that the best way to declutter is not by going through a shelf and picking off what you don't want, but rather pulling everything off the shelf and just putting back what you do want. This has worked well with my books, and I can't wait to have another go and getting rid of some of my clothes. The difference in decluttering when using this technique is massive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...