Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Adelaide


I've been asked recently where exactly Adelaide is in Australia. So, here's a map, which saves me from explaining incoherently "Take a left from Melbourne". Additionally, my Adoring Public ask me "Why Adelaide?" Indeed, WHY Adelaide...the explanation goes as follows:

We didn't want to go to Sydney because it is apparently a lot like Auckland (ie: lost of posers etc.) We didn't want to go to Melbourne because we knew quite a few peole there already, and we wanted a challenge and not just to fall in with a bunch of Wellingtonians. A few of those people we know in Melbourne I'm kind of keen to avoid because of uncomfortable flat type things (as in, they still owe me lots of money). Additionally, we didn't really want to be involved in a drug scene again, and I'm worried that falling in with the Wellingtonians we know who are currently in Melbourne might lead to that... and Andy went to Adelaide when he was fifteen on an Athletics trip and remembers liking it. This is our reasoning, flawed as it might be. But we figure that should it turn out to be a hell hole we can always leave, and go somewhere else. I really want to travel through India and Japan and we have to come back to New Zealand for Andy's sister's wedding in January, so hopefully we could come back via Asia (look at a map to work out how flawed THAT reasoning is).

Explanation ends.

7 comments :

  1. Sarah,

    In answer to your squirrel question, I don't know what they're doing with the bodies. Though it can be no coincidence that of late squirrel has become a popular dish in some parts? Kebabed, fricassed, roasted, stewed, flash fried, diced, salted, cured, boiled... in school canteens, hospitals, homes for the elderly, frozen meals, tasty snacks, open sandwiches, on toast, in toast, sliced ever so thinly and brushed with smoked garlic, on a crumble base, topped with grated dessicated chillies, in a sate sauce, drizzled (and dontcha just hate stuff that's been 'drizzled'?) Drenched with a coconut and Kaffir lime leaf broth... I could go on but better not, though they do make a lovely carpet, if you ignore the squeaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, you galuptious gourmand
    [grin grin] you love food, don't you? I wonder who swiped that eclair...?

    Sarah, Adelaide it is.

    Yes, Melbourne does sound bad with the crime scene.

    [I once hounded a gal for my $$ which she owed me...hehe...did it so nicely she couldn't NOT pay up...]

    Don't buy food on the streets if you go to India. Or take lots of Lomotil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. guyana-gyal, was it you in that fridge? Hiding at the back, loosening the light, touching the eclair? I would never eat another man's cake, nosiree. That sort of thing can get a person killed in these parts. To be killed for a cake, and an eclair at that? Why do you think I left? Never be murdered for anything less than gateau is what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewwww...squirrel!

    I once read a book, The Lonely Londeners where this guy was so hungry he tried to snitch a pigeon in a public place, and a little old lady attacked him with her umbrella. Such a beast, trying to catch a pigeon for a meal.

    If that eclair was chocolate, musta been me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a squirrel eat an eclair once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neighbour's dogs eat mangoes. Our parrot loved curried chicken. Some monkeys like eggs.

    Why do we always talk about food?

    We eat to live? We live to eat?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...