Friday, May 13, 2005

Why I love the Bird Calls on National Radio

National Radio plays bird calls (generally native) at the end of Morning Report and before Nine til Noon (about nine o'clock). Management are undertaking a whole bunch of changes and one of these is REMOVING the bird call. So, at the moment, there is a lot of correspondence with National Radio about the bird call, and how they should keep the bird call, and how everyone loves the bird call.

Now my favourite part of the morning is when they read out the bird call fan letters. They've set up a separate email address for bird call fans to send their emails because they were taking up too much room in the Morning Report inbox. So, in between election year politics and the latest bombings we hear the war cries of Middle New Zealand.

Who would have guessed so many people felt so passionate about this? One person suggested that it would be like saveloys without tomato sauce, or politics without Winston Peters (although, I'd like that... fucking idiot of a fucking politician). All this passion makes me love the bird call. Otherwise, I was somewhat ambivalent.

1 comment :

  1. Sarah, this post has me grinning...it is so refreshing, away from the bad news in the papers, on the radio [we still have no tv since that old one broke]...

    Yargle yargle yargle.

    I love bird calls.

    But someone did tell me that prisoners slaving away in long ago oz hated the sound of the kookaburra laughing...I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...