Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Wednesday List: quick list of History-type sites I have been reading

Hello darlings

I was desperate to blog last night but I absolutely promised myself that there would be no blogging until I had tidied my room - which I then procrastinated about for ages because I really didn’t want to do it. Boring. Room tidying is boring.

So, quick Wednesday list reflecting my innate history geekness.
  • Iconic Photos gives a photograph and a good description of the historical circumstances and story around the featured photograph. Is super fascinating and sometimes a little tragic. Photos give such a sense of connectivity to an event and although I’m perfectly aware that this sense of connectivity is basically false, it works really well with these bites sized lumps of history – enough to give you a taster to do some of your own research/
  • The History Blog is *ahem* a blog about history. Snippets again, little morsels of news from the heritage industry and often descriptions of finds from recent archaeological digs. I have a crush on archaeology, but also no doubt that it would probably mostly be muddy and dull to be an archaeologist. Thus I continue to live vicariously through this site, Time Team, and sometimes Archaeology Magazine.
  • Cabinet Magazine is not bite sized at all. The articles are transferred from a print publication (I think) and so the articles are a lot meatier. It does mean sitting down and really concentrating, but HOLY MOLY it’s awesome. Clever. It’s a lot concerned with reinterpretations of popular culture throughout the ages which is MMMMM my favourite. Tastes like History. Bitching
  • FOOD HISTORY IS AWESOME: I’m always talking about The Old Foodie so I’m not going to say too much except – it’s interesting and you should read it. (Oh and also, MMM shortbread and gingerbread archives MMM). In a similar vein is Four Pounds Flour, where Sarah Lohman undertakes “adventures in historic gastronomy”. She recently cooked a Thanksgiving dinner on a hearth, which is pretty awesome – and could be described as experimental archaeology also, perhaps? Also, there’s quite a cool recipe of eggnog made with milk on her website. I’m keen as a bean to give it a go; it looks a lot better than the eggnog I made at that ill fated Christmas party that one time *shudder*.
So, these are all my words for today, and since we have drifted from one of my fave things (history geekery) to another (food and drink), perhaps now is good time to mention the bizarreness that is Alie and Georgia?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...