Friday, January 15, 2010

The sad tale of Petunia, the tea-cup pig that wasn’t

During the Christmas break, I had a beautiful dream. A dream involving the ownership of a pet pig called Petunia who was pink and lovely and affectionate. Ah, lovely Petunia. She was fairly large and wiggled her bottom when she walked.

When I woke up I subjected Shannon to a discussion of Petunia. I talked about walking her in the city and having a coffee at Deluxe with her tied up under the table. And then I started thinking about tea-cup pigs! They’re adorable! And little!



I thought: I could have a tea-cup pig called Petunia! And she could ride in the front basket of my bicycle! And instead of being a crazy cat lady I could be a crazy pig lady!

It was a wonder that I managed to get back to sleep with so much excitement, but I did thank goodness. I slept in till midday I think.

That day, I thought about pet pigs. I thought about Petunia. I thought about hanging out with Petunia, and Petunia sleeping on the end of my bed and grunting excitedly when I came home from work. Petunia was so real I could almost touch her. So obsessed was I with conceptual-Petunia that I decided to do some research and make Petunia a reality.

It was then that my dreams of Petunia fell down around my ears.

Firstly, did you know how expensive tea-cup pigs are? They’re ludicrously expensive. Also, breeders recommend that you get more than one because they’re herd animals and they don’t like being alone – which ends my plans of leaving her at home while I’m at work. Also, twice ludicrously expensive is stupid amazing expensive. Also, they grow to be reasonably large – about the size of a small spaniel. Also, I have no idea where one can get a tea-cup pig in New Zealand.

I kind of gave up on tea-cup pigs at this point and decided that I would look at kune kune pigs instead, which are equally adorable, a lot more accessible - in fact, there is a breeder in Pauahatanui, which is about half an hour’s drive away. However, kune kune pigs proved to be a dead end as well! They live for like 20 years and end up weighing about as much as I do and dig up your garden something terrible so probably not that ideal for a rented property. I can’t imagine many land lords being totally cool with me moving in with a pig of any description, for that matter.

No pigs for me until I’m a stay-at-home farmer’s wife.

A few days later I saw this picture on Tumblr:



I thought: SQUEE! A possible Petunia substitute! because pugs are almost as cool as pigs, and dogs are a little easier to deal with (insofar as they aren’t as weird a pet as a pig is and are less likely to freak out a potential land lord). Also, it’s a lot easier to find pugs in New Zealand than it is to find tea-cup pigs! And a pug named called Petunia is would be adorable too! And she’d still fit in the front basket of my bicycle!


And then I started researching pugs and OH MY GOD they are a perfect example of the disastrousness of pedigree breeding. Did you know something like 80% of pugs will have to have an eye operation at least once in their life that New Zealand Pug Rescue bills at about $600? I can’t afford that! They’re wheezy and bad for asthmatics and they need lots of attention.

Thus:
Pugs are not for me.
Pigs are not for me.
And Petunia remains a lovely dream.
RIP Petunia.

3 comments :

  1. Sorry that your pig / pug dreams were dashed. :(

    Last night, I had a wonderful dream about owning an adorable shih tzu puppy. Then I woke up and remembered the time I actually owned an adorable shih tzu puppy (in real life) and how it all ended in tears and heartbreak and adoption and moving to another country. So it's probably for the best that I'm pet-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad had a favourite cow in the herd when I was growing up called Petunia. Not quite sure a landlord would like a cow on the front lawn either though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: I'm sorry to hear about your shih tzu tears. That is a sad story.

    Kelly: perhaps one of those miniature cows would work out alright? just enough milk for a cup of coffee, and apparently quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...