Monday, July 26, 2010

Investigative Blogging Time: The Cup

[Lady Blood Disclaimer! Also, I get a little more explicit in this one]




As far as I can tell, menstrual cups are all much the same. They're marketed under different names: Diva Cup, Moon Cup, Femme Cup et al. I used the one named "Femme Cup". It was about $40 dollars and I ordered it online from a New Zealand based shopping site called (gag) Babycuddles after much research. Despite their heinous name and use of Comic Sans they were really good to deal with: delivery and communication were prompt.
CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURE
Essentially, the Femme Cup is a small - uh - cup, with a stem. It's made of medical grade silicon. My one is a clear silicon, but by the look of it you can buy some of the brands in different colours (if I could get a pink glitter menstrual cup I'd be in there like a flash). There is a lip that is designed to create a seal, and my Femme Cup has millilitres marked on the side. Not sure how I feel about this, or what use it would be - I guess if the doctor asked what my flow is like I'd be able to answer authoritatively?
Most brands seem to have two size options - one for younger women and one for older women and women who have had children. The Femme Cup is apparently made of a softer silicon and thus is a "one size only" version.


Menstrual cups are supposed to last for quite along time too - I've seen 10 years quoted before. That has to be a good thing for my budgeting attempts! And it definitely rationalises the cost.

EASE OF APPLICATION
Basically, you fold the cup in half and then half again, and insert. You should probably wash it with a little soap and water as well as it's easier to get it inside while wet. This is a little more awkward than it sounds - I kept finding that mine popped out of it's folded configuration before I could pop it in, so it took a couple of goes to get it fitted correctly.

Also, I had a difficult experience on my first wear which certainly constitutes a Cautionary Cup Tale. The cups have a little stem on them and the back of the packet notes that menstrual cups sit a lot lower than tampons and most women will need to shorten the stem to just about nothing. Following the instructions, I happily hacked off about half the stem with my nail scissors forgetting that unlike "most women" I have a freakishly long *ahem* passage, as witnessed by many unhappy and awkward cervical smear experiences, some of which have included the phrase "oh! your cervix is hiding from me!" and "I'll have to use a longer speculum!". Thus, I almost LOST the damn thing the first morning that I used it. It was awkward to find it and get it out and I'm just glad I didn't dislocate my shoulder during the removal process.
Subsequent experimentation has revealed that this first experience was due to operator error. But let my experience be a lesson to you all - don't trim the stem until you're sure, and don't put the thing too far up inside you, because you will never see it again.


CLEANING UP
Gently pour off into the loo, rinse and wash with soap, reinsert. So easy and stress free!

The manufacturers suggest boiling in salt water to sterilise if that's the kind of thing that you worry about. I've heard some stories about people finding their flatmate's menstrual cup boiling on the stove and being a little taken aback, so you might want to time this properly.


CONCLUSION
I LOVE MY MENSTRUAL CUP. I don't really want to try cloth pads now because the Femme Cup is the alpha and omega of my ladyblood world. I cannot recommend the menstrual cup highly enough. Go out there and get yourself one if you haven't already!

Upcoming adventures in Lady-blood: The Cloth Pad.


See also:



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...