Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In which Ginger goes to a wedding, and doesn't get a sausage

via We Heart It

I went to a wedding in Auckland on Saturday - literally a whirlwind weekend, as we flew up on Saturday morning and down again on Sunday night. It was tiring but it was great travelling so lightly and really, an hour flight is a pretty quick commute. The wedding was as weddings always are - bits that you like, bits that you think are strange and horrible, and that are quickly followed by strangely emotional moments where you cry despite your cynicism and desiccated heart. Yep. Wedding.

The day after the wedding, Shannon and I met up with Shannon's friend Callum who is in the process of moving back down to Wellington. We had a meal with him and a friend of his, and the woman who owns the house where he is staying during the moving-back-down period - who is, apparently, the mother of another friend who is presently overseas.

However, I was too hungover to take in any of this in at the time. At the time I was 100% focused on eating sausage and bacon, so imagine (quelle horreur!) when I discovered that the cafe Callum had chosen was vegetarian. Shannon thought I was going to cry when I discovered that the cafe was meat free, given that I had been talking about pig the whole way there on the bus. BUT, rather than Close to Tears, I was consumed with a Carnivorous Rage that made it damn near impossible to communicate with any degree of civility with the (aforementioned) very nice but rather batty middle aged woman that I'd just met. She had a puppy with her - which would have been easily the best thing about the entire experience, were it not for the fact that the puppy was a trainee guide dog and thus wasn't allowed to be spoiled and cooed over and patted lots like other puppies. Sad for the puppy, and most importantly sad for ME. I hope that some blind person is really pleased with themselves one day for contributing to the horridness of my horrible hungover breakfast.

The food itself, while totally edible and made of impeccable organic ingredients, was almost completely flavourless. At any rate, my jaded palate was unable to discern the delicious taste of gruyere that I was eagerly anticipating in my very boring omelette. I was sad and angry and unable to be sociable because of a distinct lack of both pig and cheese. BUT NEVER MIND! Because two hours later I shared a lovely plate of kidneys and bacon with Shannon, and the day was saved!

sigfinal

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...