Friday, April 29, 2005

Amateur Theatre

Nothing chills the heart of Man like the words "Amateur Theatre". And yet, I found myself this evening attending a Wellington Repertory Theatre performance of "Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies." Fran invited me and Andy because there was a concession on group bookings, which was very sweet of her. Thus we joined a group of like-minded Pratchett geeks. But nothing could have prepared me for the horror that would await me deep within the heart of the Gryphon Theatre (this sounds like hyperbole but its not. At all.) Everything bad about Amateur Theatre was present in this play. EVERYTHING. Plastic swords, people consistently forgetting their lines, impenetrable fake accents, a bad primate costume. The lights went down for a scene change at least every ten minutes. Parts of it made no sense. There was a scene where two of the actors stood at the front of the stage and talked to a badly cued tape recording. Halfway through the play there was a fifteen minute intermission where Andy and I considered escaping, but decided that that would be unfathomably rude. Fran asked us whether we thought the Queen of the Fairies had a lisp. In the end we sat through two and half hours worth of the worst theatre I have ever scene (thats TWO and HALF hours of Amateur Theatre). There was a point where the play was so bad that it became good again like a really kitschy film ("The Holy Mountain", maybe?) By the end of the play I was in internal hysterics, barely suppressed. And yet, so glad that I went. It was certainly An Experience.

6 comments :

  1. Oh, my. That does sound truly, erm, stupefying? No, definitely horrifying. Although, I must say I love Pratchett, particularly Mort.

    Also, it does make sense, in a bizarre way, that the dramatized version of a Terry Pratchett novel would be done in amateur theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are just so Bad they’re good! This one was good!

    A Jamaican girl once told me about a play she’d seen. The entire audience thought it was brilliant, folks were rolling in the aisle, laughing, except her. She wanted to run out screaming, but the writer was nearby, and they knew each other.

    The one scene that made her laugh was a ‘sad’ scene. The Hero was writing a letter to his girl, sobbing, muttering, writing. Then he put the letter in an envelope and wet the glue with his tears, and slobbered the stamp with his tears, all the while weeping and muttering about missing her.

    P.S. The template for my blog doesn’t allow for links to be added in the side bar…so I will use my creativity to tell others about your blog. I enjoy your laid-back, easy style of telling things. I plan to check out too the public art gallery this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girlspit: toward the end I did think about all the things that Pratchett had ever written about Amateur Theatre and thought how this play covered all of that, and them some.

    Guyana: I noticed that you'd put some links on your blog and then taken them away for the Nathaniel Update (appreciated). Thanks for all your lovely comments! Enjoy the Enjoy site, my friend Jess manages the it and does all the photos and stuff for the social pages. I don't know how well updated it will be, its coming to the end of the Ella Bella Moonshine Reed exhibition, but Simon and Tahi's doesn't start until tuesday... they're pretty wacky. Bex and I exhibited some of their work last year and had to go to Auckland to meet them. Tahi is very odd. But isn't that the prerogative of artists? Especially performance artists. Odd people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you said 'Bex and I exhibited some of their work last year'...does that mean you put on exhibitions and so on?

    Oh...I was rewriting the post with your, and other sites, I deleted before I copied, argh...and gave up.

    I'm one lazy blogger!

    I will try to put other people's links into my posts...at the end of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I co-curated an exhibition last year with Bex, and we organised a sort of four part performance project called "the STAFF Project" as well... It's detailed on the Enjoy website. The exhibition in which we showed Simon and Tahi's work was called "Loan Rangers" as in student loan. The idea was to showcase some work from emerging artists from the major metropolitan areas in New Zealand (all four of them). After I did these I discovered that I didn't really want to carry on because it was so stressful dealing with people in that kind of situation. The artists are very particular about what they want, as they should be, but I just don't enjoy dealing with people on a day to day basis, or working in customer service type roles (despite working two at the moment). Thus, I gave it up. And it was a weight of my shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just think it's great that you have the opportunity to dip your hands into all this, whether you discover you enjoy it or not.

    My server is still behaving like frozen molasses. slooooooooooow. So I can't check out the other sites as yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...