Monday, August 02, 2010

Investigative Blogging: money and Quirky Real Things.

 Please follow the pointy finger for part one... 

list 
via Koalazymonkey on Flickr.

I've dealt with the general (budgeting et al), but as I've mentioned, it's important do keep doing things in order to feel as though you're actively making changes. This is a little list of things that I've been doing to keep myself enthusiastic (a bit) and focused (mainly). 

1. Only spending cash. This hasn't been easy given that I have been addicted to Eftpos since I was thirteen and given that I'm in constant fear of losing notes from my wallet - I'm convinced that they'll fall out and blow away in the wind. But making my money and my spending a physical reality instead of an invisible stream of 1s and 0s has given me a better idea of the way that I'm spending, and a better appreciation of the value of money. When I can see a fifty dollar note eaten up in a matter of hours, I'm a hell of a lot more aware of how I'm spending it and what I'm spending it on. Also, making a trip to the right money machine means that I have time to really thing about whether I need to buy what I'm buying - there is nothing like a brisk walk in the fresh air to clear the head.

2. The Ongoing List of Want. I'm always coming up with new ways to spend my money and, as I've noted before, money burns a hole in my pocket. What's the way to prevent my money frittering ways? THE ONGOING LIST OF WANT, being: a list of the things that I have formed a sudden, and often questionable, desire for. The plan is that the item of Desire will be placed on the list, and after a period of some days I will be able to better assess whether my want is a genuine want or a mere sudden urge. I think I would have 100% less Snuggies if I'd instigated the List of Want earlier. Oops.

3. Buy Nothing Day. I'm aiming for at least one of these a week - but to be truthful, I think I could probably do even more. There is nothing like the nice clean feeling of not spending any money for an entire day. At present, I mostly achieve this by not going near any place where I may spend money, and hibernating at work by the fire with a book during lunch time. But soon, I will test my resolve: look at shops and buy nothing? So.much.power.

4. Wallet Feng Shui. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is actually as silly as it sounds but it's a little thing that increases my feeling of control, and that has to be a good thing, right? The concept runs along the line that if you treat your money/wallet with respect you will have a better relationship with money. So I cleared my wallet of everything and left it outside in the sun (to cleanse) while I sorted out the rubbish that I was carrying around with myself. I narrowed down what I was carrying to the mere essentials. I'm very careful to put my money in the right place when I get given change, and I feel a lot more in control just doing this! Also I have *ahem* a wallet mantra. It makes me laugh a little. Does that neutralise it's effectiveness?


5. The Debt Unicorn. This unicorn is my credit card debt unicorn and was created on the suggestion of my workmate and Bex. The idea is that I will fill in my unicorn and have a visual idea of how the debt repayment is going. You can see my debt unicorn here. I'm looking forward to getting him really pink. OH YEAH.

6. Laughing Buddha with a sack of money. He lives on my dresser and I rub his belly and I feel kind of a bit silly and superstitious. But at least I start the day thinking about budgeting and debt recovery, and he goes with the kitschy look of my room quite nicely.

And also here is your budgeting unicorn for today. So beautiful!

unicorn

4 comments :

  1. Buy Nothing Day - great idea! I shall copy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.thegreatamericanappareldiet.com/

    Did you hear about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafty Tuesday lady - Buy nothing day rules. I love it

    Bex, my darling, I did see/hear about that one. Did you see the Six items or less challenge one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The debt unicorn is all kinds of awesome! Good luck with being debt free!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...