Wednesday, December 01, 2010

How ever do you want me, need me etc?


Yep, so anyways, my week of Leisure is over. I am back at work doing stuff that is worked based. But I am feeling relaxed and almost - almost - patient. I'm conceptually quite fond of patience and I think that I would like to incorporate patience into my life in a greater capacity. So far I'm doing pretty well I think.


I had a dream the other night that involved me breaking in to some students' flat in order to use their iron. SCANDALOUS. Understandably, they were somewhat hacked off, because really, who does that? Also, power is really expensive and students don't like to pay lots of money for power, especially when they live in a shitty house on Aro Street. So realistic.

Another recent dream has included me being Nucky Thompson's (Boardwalk Empire) mistress and being squirrelled away because of the potential for political scandal (shocking!). I stayed at my Dad's house and he had a trashy mistress who I didn't like (I think she had a nasty perm or something). Darlings, it's been All Dreams All The Time over here. Must be related to all the the relaxation or something.

Also, does anybody know a good way to stop me grinding my teeth at night? I swear last night the Boy was about to send me to sleep in my own bed. Really, between grinding my teeth, yelling out and whimpering in my sleep, and dreaming fretfully of students and ironing, it's a wonder I wake up rested at all


For Book Club we're reading a Philip Hoare book called Leviathan, or The Whale (see here: the reference to Moby Dick). When I read the back of the book I couldn't work out what kind of book it was or why it would be interesting, ONLY TO FIND that it's amazingly interesting and engaging. I still don't know exactly how to describe it, but I can say that if you have a passion for reading well written and fascinating non-fiction you should hunt Leviathan out. Or perhaps you could give it as a present to someone? I'm not sure what kind of person would like it the best. I know my Mum wouldn't be that excited about it if that's any kind of guideline.

Recently, I also read a wonderful Natalie Clifford Barney biography called Wild Heart: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris. It was quite wonderful, and I liked the way it mirrored bits of the Colette biography I read a while ago. Belle epoque Paris seems a-ok to me! Except for the corsets of course, those scare the crap out of me, and I feel kind of sick just looking at them. Gag. I like my lack of waist a lot, thanks very.


I've started watching The Darling Buds of May again, which I remember being absolutely wonderful when I was little. Watching it again I came to the following conclusions:

  1. Catherine Zeta Jones is gorgeous. And very, very brown.
  2. The dude who plays Charley has no chin at all.
  3. I love Ma and Pa Larkin.
  4. I would like to eat a nice fat goose sometime.
  5. There were a lot of somewhat dirty jokes that I mustn't have understood when I first watched it. I wonder if I chuckled because chuckling seemed the done thing? Did I chuckle? So confused.
  6. The tarty girl who tries to seduce Charley on the strawberry fields is not really that tarty or that hot.
  7. Despite it's sanitised version of 1950s English life, the Darling Buds of May is surprisingly revolutionary in its attitude towards women's sexuality. Which is awesome (I'm working off the basis that the TV series isn't so far away from the H.E. Bates book published in 1958).
And that's all I have to say about that. Pure escapism. Shannon refuses to watch it with me. But I say: ALL THE BETTER.


I've made a second list of my Christmas presents and have come to the conclusion that I'm running behind on organising anything. Every year this happens! I'm now going to have to craft in a frenetic wild frenzy of wild frenetic crafting.

Also: I sewed myself a dress and made a skirt garter. How selfish of me to craft for myself when I should have been crafting for everyone else! Also also: should I be making stuff for my boyfriend's family? I'm going to end up making a bunch of sweets again I can just see it. And then eat most of them and feel sick.

I have to go and have a Christmas-based panic attack now, please excuse.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...