Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wednesday List: Five women I've had a lady-crush on


Lady crushes are one of life's little luxuries and I do enjoy a good lady crush. Here is a sampler of five woman who blow my socks off.

Bruizilla. Her real name escapes me, but she's a blocker that skates for Pirate City and I met her at Skate Highway 1 last year. We talked about loving the Gilmore Girls, and I thought she was wonderful. Anyone as staunch and as funny as Bruizilla who can wax lyrical about Suki's midwife is a-ok with me.


Peta Mathias. She's a chef and a TV chef and super fabulous. She was one of the first things I ever blogged about. One time, I saw her when I was working at Ricochet in the Old Bank Arcade and nearly swooned with excitement. She spends six months in France (the South of?) and six months in New Zealand (Auckland I think). Did I mention she's fabulous? She's totally fabulous.

Tavi Gelleston. I have been all like "Oh Tavi! Yeah, whatever" for the last couple of years or so, and this year I actually read Style Rookie and realised what a switched-on teenager she is. Then I had a dream that she was my girlfriend (so creepy of me) and thought that I ought to get over this crush toot sweet. And then she retweeted the amazing Sady Doyle's Tiger Beatdown article and again I was like: she's so switched-on.

Anaïs Nin. See her rocking some kind of androgynous look, above. I totally have this love/hate/crush thing with Anais. I think she's great and she also bugs me, but mostly I find her simply fascinating. I'm dedicating this summer to Anaïs - reading my way through her diaries (again) and finishing the book of letters between her and Henry Miller. And watching the Kenneth Anger short film she's in? I shall have to find it.

Anna Livesey. She was my debating coach at high school, was nice to me when I had just started university and knew no-one except people I'd gone to high school with, and is now a published poet and short story writer. This was such a school-girl crush - she was so wise and witty in the way that only a seventeen year old can appear. OMG so cool.

I'm trying to see if there is a theme here but I can't see one really - unless that all these women are really driven in what they're good at? Maybe? I don't know.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! You rock my tiny world. For realz, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...